Leica Microscopes Review
Pros and Cons
What are the Model Types Available?
Leica Microsystems, manufactures Leica Microscopes including compound, stereo and digital models.
They are a leader in the global design and production of state of the art, high-tech, precision optical systems for the analysis of microstructures.
In 1849, the mathematician Carl Kellner founded a company in Wetzlar, Germany, which produced microscopes. A precision mechanic, Ernst Leitz, became a partner in the company by 1865.
The Leica brand was born in 1925, and today, Leica is a market leader in each of the following:
- Confocal Laser Scanning
- Imaging Systems,
- Specimen Preparation
- Medical Equipment
Advantages of Leica Microscopes
Leica DM3000 Microscope from Leica-Microsystems.com
Measurement analysis and microscopic imaging are essential for numerous applications and their microscopes deliver a product that is competitively priced and of high quality.
The advantages include innovation, customization for specific viewing needs and availability:
- Superior optics in their large frame research microscopes
- Configure the Leica modular systems to fit your specific application needs.
- Leica maintains 14 manufacturing facilities in 11 countries
- Sales and service organizations in 19 countries
- A strong and committed international network of dealers
As the end-user of their microscopes, you need a company like Leica who has a good reputation for after sale support and very well trained service personnel.
Any issues in the past about shoddy parts support should be resolved with the integration of many products into one parts system. Customers with newer models benefit here, less so for those with older models.
The Zeiss company is very well known for their service and parts supply also but Leica is a strong competitor in this regard.
Leica’s DM line offers versatility for a wide range of analysis and techniques and at a great price. You receive quality and consistency along with high performance for cell and tissue analysis.
Disadvantages of Leica Microscopes
Customer ratings also mention a couple of negatives:
- There is a tendency for the power supply to burn out on their DC Series, which is not covered in the warranty, and Leica's warranty on electrical components is only one year.
- Although competitive on standard microscopes, Leica’s pricing for their more innovative products are on the high side, which you might expect from a company offering consistently upgraded features and benefits.
- Customers with older models have complained about the difficulty in getting adequate parts support.
The most popular microscope styles from Leica include the following:
- Virtual Imaging Systems – used for viewing virtual slides from anywhere creating digital images of microscope specimens
- Compound Light Microscopes - produce superlative image quality, feature ergonomic handling, and provide fast results
- Confocal Microscopes - Manufactured for cutting edge biomedical research, it provides precise imaging of dynamic processes and subcellular structures
- Surgical Microscopes - precise imaging and optimum freedom of movement
- Stereo Microscopes - stereo microscopes designed specifically for industry, research and education, with extremely convenient operation and exceptional optics
- Digital Microscopes - exceptionally portable; for use in industrial quality control
- Microscope Software - user-friendly software offers excellent image results and analysis
- Digital Microscope Cameras - ideal for analysis and optimal presentation of images over the internet worldwide or simply in-house
All microscopes by Leica are often compared to Zeiss, Nikon and Olympus brands due to the comparative quality of images acquired and excellence in design and construction.
The use of Leica microscopes in research and study makes every user “a potential Nobel Prize winner”, so states the company literature.
Read information on Leica Stereo Microscopes here
Return from Leica Microscopes to Compound Light Microscopes
Return from Leica Microscopes to Best Microscope Reviews Home